During the filming of my documentary project 30 Zero Zero, I spent a good portion of time focused on health and beauty products. When I read the label on my shampoo bottle I was stunned. The list of chemicals and additives was extensive. Many of the ingredients were known carcinogenic. I realized I was bathing in toxins and moisturizing with poison.
I began investigating alternatives and even tried concocting my own special remedies. My hair did not respond positively to the organic substitutes. It was either flyaway and frizzy or greasy and slick. Finding a balance took months of experimentation. I still resort to using shampoo and conditioner I know to be damaging to myself and the environment, but hey… I have it on-hand. What am I supposed to do? Dump it down the drain?
Creams, lotions, toothpaste, soaps and cleansers, (including household cleaning products) laundry detergent and softeners… I forget how many products the typical North American uses each day, but I do know that I have a stockpile of questionable substances under my sinks and in my cupboards.
So what’s the solution?
SHAVE IT OFF!!!
I know it seems a bit drastic and rather obsessive but I have many reasons for planning to shear off my long locks on November 11th, 2011 at about 11:11pm.
- Create awareness for @Alice_Pyne and her Bucket List which includes “To get everyone eligible to join the bone marrow register”
- Donate hair for creation of a Wig for a kid in treatment.
- Raise funds for finishing production and post on 30 Zero Zero documentary.
- Portion of proceeds to local Children’s House.
- To honor Remembrance Day by commemorating those who have died during war in the service of their country serving. (Although I do NOT condone war of any kind or for any purpose)
- Last but certainly not least, to have FUN!